Thursday, April 6, 2017

Shuttle Type 9

So around 2 years ago when I started modeling, the very first thing I wanted to create was a shuttle from Star Trek. It was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, and I have many fond memories watching it with my father.

Original model of mine

When I was younger I'd watch The Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine with him, but when my parents split, Voyager was in full swing. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and I would watch reruns of it every night before bed.

Star Trek has always been a show that pushes the boundaries and really tries it's best to highlight psychological struggles of being far from home, as well as political issues. For that reason, a lot of episodes from TNG, DS9 or Voyager still have relevance today. Any story that has philosophical truths in it is going to stand the tests of time, regardless of its CG(or physical models) components.

So in keeping with my passion for revisiting old movie/video game productions, as well as attempting to show my improvements here's my current render:

Latest model of mine





I still have a ways to go with texturing. I couldn't find myself a good texture that I could make a good displacement map from either. At least not one that was free. But in the end, I'm pretty blown away at the difference some time and effort can make.

Eventual goal is to fully model out the interior as well, and import it into Unity and walk around inside VR


As always, thanks for reading and feedback of any kind is appreciated (constructive critique especially)!

No comments:

Post a Comment